The Ultimate Guide -- Beginner's FAQ About Wigs
1. I NEVER HAVE TRIED A WIG BEFORE, HOW CAN I START?
It helps to have a good idea of what you want a wig to do for you. Do you want to wear wigs to change your look? Do you have hair loss or damage you want to cover without changing your natural hairs’ texture or color?
If you want a wig to change your look, decide which kind of hairstyles you want and find out which kind of hairstyle suits you better.
If you have hair loss or damage, start from getting the texture, color, style and length you would have if you were able to grow an adequate amount of hair on your head.
No matter the reason you want a wig, choose a wig shop with good reviews and ask a trusted friend or family to give you honest feedback.
And here are another few tips for you to get started:
(1) Start with wearing a hat that matches your outfit if you cannot perfectly manage your hairline.
(2) Wear your wig at home for the first few days until you’re used to it.
(3) Boosting your self-confidence is key! If you look good, and your family members and best friends feel you look good, then flaunt it.
(4) Get your wig styled by your usual hairdresser. Got to them often, like once every three months, to make sure your wig keeps its style.
(5) Carefully wash and store your wig. Keep it on a head when not in use.
(6) Change your wig at least once a year
2. DO YOU LOSE YOUR EDGES WHILE WEARING A LACE WIG? AND ARE THEY SAFE TO WEAR IF YOU WANT TO GROW OUT YOUR HAIR?
We wear wigs in order to look best and be attractive -- not because we want to lose our edges.
Here are some tips to help to rock a stunning lace wig while maintaining the hair underneath.
(1) Be sure to glue the wig in the right position.
Carefully trim the lace back so it lines up with your hairline. Not too far, or you will irritate your scalp, nor too close, or you risk applying glue to your natural hair.
(2) Choose the proper glue when securing your lace front.
Choose the right glue to suit different needs. For example, if you prefer to take off your wig every day, Got2B will not be a bad choice.
(3) Test your skin for sensitivity before applying glue.
(4) Disinfect the inside of the wig with alcohol.
(5) Remove the wig correctly.
Remove the wig gently by warm water or glue remover instead of ripping it off.
(6) Wear a glueless wig.
If you want to grow out your hair, we recommend:
(1) Take off your wig every night to give your natural hair some fresh air, especially on hot and humid summer days.
(2) Wash and condition both your wig and natural hair often to keep your scalp, your natural hair and your wig clean.
(3) And make sure that your natural hair is totally dry before putting on your wig, or you will feel itchy while wearing the wig all day long.
3. HOW LONG WILL A HUMAN HAIR LACE WIG LAST?
The wig itself can last 6 months to a year with proper care and storage.
Actually, some people buy wigs once a month or every two months because they prefer to change hairstyles often. Meanwhile, others prefer to buy wigs about once or twice a year, and they only buy new wigs when the old ones are no longer in good condition. These people should pay more attention to how to care for your wigs.
4. WHAT IS A LACE FRONT WIG? WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A LACE FRONT WIG AND A FULL LACE WIG？
Lace front wigs have a lace mesh at the front of the wig cap to give it a more natural and subtle look. These types of wigs can be worn in multiple styles, including keeping the hair away from the face, because if applied properly, the hairline is almost invisible and the scalp can be seen through the mesh.
Full lace wigs have a fully covered, 360-degree lace-base from the hairline to the nape of the neck which covers the whole head. It is a very versatile wig that can be worn in multiple styles.
The difference is obvious now: A full lace wig has more wear options, and the wig cap is softer and more comfortable, as it is totally made with lace and thus more breathable.
5. HOW LONG CAN I LEAVE A LACE WIG ON MY HEAD?
We have surveyed how long our customers normally keep their wigs on.
And according to their feedback, most people wear wigs for work. Half of them only wear wigs when they’re working and take them off when they get home, so the average wearing time is about 10 hours a day. And they only lightly glue down the wig or don’t use glue at all.
Another half of our customers glue down their wigs and leave them on for around a week, and then take them off, wash and care both natural hair and wigs, and then put the wigs back on for another week.
Here we have some suggestions:
a. If you’re wearing the wig as a protective style, take it off every night.
b. If you’re suffering from hair loss, ask your doctor before committing to glue or tape.
c. It isn’t recommended to keep the wigs on exceeding one week, as you also need to wash and care for your natural hair.
6. WHY ARE THE WIGS SO PRICY?
The prices are basically based on hair material, hair density (the amount of the hair used to make the wig), hair length, and cap construction type.
Human hair will become more and more pricy because of the lack of hair material. Nowadays, more and more people choose to wear wigs for many reasons, but fewer people prefer to grow their hair long. So the more hair needed and greater the length, the pricier the wig.
The wigs with a full lace cap, also known as hand-tied wigs, are the most expensive, as they need a lot of handworks.
7. WHAT’S THE BEST GLUE FOR A LACE WIG? IS GOT2B GLUE THE ONLY GLUE FOR A LACE WIG?
Got2b is NOT the only glue for lace wigs. There are other glues such as Esha, Bold Hold, Ghost Bond, and more.
Do some research to choose the best-fitting glue for yourself for different occasions, as different glue types have different uses. For example, if you need to do a lot of exercises, then the Got2b spray will not be adhesive enough.
8. SWISS LACE, HD LACE, FRENCH LACE OR KOREAN LACE? WHICH TYPE OF LACE DOES EVAWIGS.COM USE FOR THE WIGS? DO ALL THE LACE MATERIALS COME IN DIFFERENT SHADES? DO ALL OF THE WIGS COME WITH THE OPTION OF TRANSPARENT LACE? IS THE LACE THIN SO IT CAN BE EASILY BLENDED INTO YOUR SKIN? IS THE LACE SOFT?
Swiss lace is a thinner, more delicate and completely see-through lace, it was originally used to make lace for royalty. It is a more invisible lace, so if you want a very natural hairline, choose Swiss lace.Swiss lace is comparatively thinner and can blend into your skin easier.
French lace is slightly thicker than Swiss lace, but more durable.
Korean lace is the most commonly used lace, it is a copy-cat of French lace. Being that it is much more durable than French lace, so it is a great choice for active lace wig wearers.
9. ARE YOUR WIGS BEGINNER FRIENDLY?
Said @louxis1, “For us beginners, shake, apply and go is best!!!”
But what kind of wigs can easily put on and go? According to our customers' feedback, a beginner-friendly wig should be with:
a. Pre-plucked Hairline. As a wig beginner, plucking the hairline is very tough work, and too much plucking can even ruin your new wig.
b. Bleached Knots. Bleached knots can be another challenge for wig beginners. Bleached knots make it so much easier to cut the lace and look more natural in the parting area.
c. It should be glueless, easy to install and easy to secure. So, the wig cap should have combs, adjustable straps, and elastic bands, so we can feel safe and comfortable.
d. The last and most important factor is that it be inexpensive.
10. HOW LONG DOES SHIPPING TAKE TO MY COUNTRY?
Normally, for customers from the US, Australia, and most European countries, you will receive your package in 3-5 working days after shipping. It may take longer for other countries but no longer than 10 working days if there are no customs problems.
It might be delayed because of the holiday rush, and it will take even longer for countries where shipping is only possible through postal offices.
11. DO YOU HAVE TO GO TO A PROFESSIONAL TO INSTALL THE WIG OR CAN IT BE PUT ON AND GO?
Everything needs practice.
If you’re new to wigs, ask a professional to help you achieve a more natural-looking hairline and parting, and help you to install your wig more securely.
And here we have some tips to help you melt your lace at home:
(1) Make sure your hair is flat underneath.
(2) Press face powder underneath the lace to match your skin.
(3) Cut the lace in a jagged line, not straight.
(4) Invest in high-quality thin lace.
(5) Invest in a wig with a pre-plucked hairline and bleached knots.
(6) Never overdo baby hairs, it can make it look very fake.
(7) Gently remove any glue/gel residue left on the lace with a toothbrush and conditioner.
12. CAN A GLUELESS WIG BE GLUED DOWN? AND WHAT IS THE BEST METHOD TO “GLUE” DOWN THE WIG AND MAKE IT LOOK NATURAL?HE WIG AND MAKE IT LOOK NATURAL?
You can glue down a lace wig, no matter if it is a glueless one.
A glueless wig means there are 4 or fewer combs sewn inside your wig cap. You can secure your wig by combing to your natural hair or stocking wig cap, and use an adjustable strap around the neck to adjust the circumference size to help the wig fit better, and stay in place more securely. This also helps the hairline lay down and flat. All these are used to help you secure your wig better in case you don’t want to use glue.
So, if your glueless wig is a lace wig, it can be glued down.
The most popular way to glue down a lace wig is called the bald scalp method.
And these are the two main methods of securing a wig. One is choosing a glueless cap wig with an elastic band so you can wear it without using any glue or gel, and another method is gluing it down.
13. COULD I WEAR THESE WIGS UP IN A PONYTAIL? DO I NEED TO USE GLUE OR SOMETHING IF I WANT TO PUT THE WIG IN A PONYTAIL?
Choose the right cap construction, and yes, you can wear your wigs in a ponytail. If you want to put the wig in a high ponytail, use glue to secure the lace around the neck.
14. CAN WOMEN WITH SENSITIVE SKIN ALSO WEAR A LACE FRONT WIG?
You should test the glue, mousse, gel, and anything that you’re going to use first before you apply to the hair.
15. WHAT ARE SOME COMMON MISTAKES THAT COULD RUIN A LACE WIG?
The top 7 common mistakes that could ruin a lace wig are:
d. Cut Too Much Lace Off
e. Wash and Condition the Hair with Unsuitable Products.
f. Excessive Use of Heat Tools.
g. Putting the Wig Away When It’s Not Clean. – If you put it away without washing and conditioning it, your wig will be in a mess when you want to wear it again.
16. HOW OFTEN SHOULD I WASH THE WIG?
The answer is, it depends on how often you wear it and what type of damage it incurs while wearing.
If you wear your wig every day and use styling products, you should wash it at least once a week. Or, it only needs to be washed once every 5 to 10 wears. Wigs do not need to be washed as often as your own hair, because too much washing does harm to your wig, but too less washing will cause hair tangling.
17. DOES IT GET HOT UNDER A WIG?
Yes, it will get hot under a wig in the summer. Here are some tips to help you deal with the issue:
(1) Choose a wig with less thick hair.
(2) Shave your natural hair more often.
(3) Choose a wig with a short bob cut.
(4) Wear your wig in an updo.
And be careful if you have a sensitive scalp, you should test the glue you’re going to use before you applying to the hairline.
18. IS IT BAD TO LEAVE OUT YOUR OWN REAL BABY HAIRS INSTEAD OF CREATING THEM FROM YOUR WIG?
It’s better to create them from your wig if you’re going to glue down your wig. But if you don’t decide to use glue, leaving out your own baby hairs that can help to hide the wig lace.
19. CAN HUMAN HAIR WIGS BE DYED?
Yes, of course, human hair wigs can be dyed.
Two hair colors are better to dye: one is natural black, which you can dye into the basic brown colors, and the other is #613 platinum blonde, which you can dye into almost any color you want.
There are two ways to dye your hair: the traditional way that the hair salons used, and another way is semi-permanent watercolor
Feel free to leave your comments, suggestions, ideas below!